My Photo
Name:

brain spoon n. 1. A device used by 4th century Quirinalian monks to exact revenge for crimes deemed monstrously immoral. The device consisted of a large scoop with razor sharp edges, fixed to bellows and a hollow tube, through which was poured a mixture of vinegar and molten metal intended to soften the skull, thereby facilitating cranial penetration and extraction of brain sections. 2. Any device which causes extreme pain in the craniocerebral region.

And now, for The Best of Wayne Moon, you'll have to weed through this mangled Myspace site that will need to be reconstructed after their attempt to keep up: Wayne Moon on Myspace.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Steeple Chase

(Photo courtesy of Dallas News)

From the raised platform of the train, I watch a large bird land on top of a high church steeple two blocks away. The bird defends its perch as a small winged creature (Satan?) spirals about for some minutes. I board the train.

At the next stop, the driver's voice warns passengers that we'll be delayed for a minute until he gets the all-clear. Two police officers race onto our car.

"He's still on here," says the confident policeman. "There's no way he got off."

I am wearing an oversized, black rain coat, and I assume that they are looking for the likes of me. Only the day before, a deranged (as usual) local man on a bridge had shut down traffic by telling an official that he had a bomb. The officer passes me, exits our car, then reappears several times. Four more officers appear. One is my neighbor, Rick Walton (not his real name). I consider catching his eye and waving (as if to say with a side glance at my audience, "Everyone, look! I know him! I have connections!") Someone cuts power and the officers jump down onto the center track to search under the platform. I marvel at the power of the police force, to petition the gods of electricity and, with seemingly little more than a nod and a neck-slicing gesture, cause its life-sustaining current to dry up. At last, one of the officers walks by, towing the alleged criminal (white male, mid-twenties, short-cropped blonde hair, or am I confusing him my Trenton panhandler?) by the handcuffs. Officer Rick passes, both hands occupied as he carries a box of stolen goods.

"Hey Wayne!" he says with the bemused expression of a man who has a dangerous job, and recognizes the absurdity of bad guys who invariably fail to realize that they will be punished eventually.

I return his greeting, "Hey, Rick!" and wish I'd addressed him as Officer Walton, for the edification of the passengers.

With a chuckle, he says to me, "Sorry about your delay."

"No problem," I insist. "Carry on." And I think, be careful out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home